Vivo - 2021
Age-appropriateness: silly/slapstick violence, a primary character dies
Overview: Vivo, Sony Pictures Animation's first-ever musical adventure featuring all-new original songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda, will take audiences on an epic adventure to gorgeous and vibrant locations never before seen in animation.
Themes: music, friendship, passion, love, death/grieving, conformity, diversity, reunion, fear, loneliness, optimism, creativity, teamwork, resilience
The Quick 3
Ask these quick questions to hit the major themes of the film.
1. Friendship/diversity. Do you have any friends that are totally different than you? Why is that such a great thing?
Vivo and Gabi were unlikely friends. They were very different, and yet they became friends and worked really well together.
2. Death/grieving. How do you think Vivo is feeling when his best friend died? How should he express his feelings?
Vivo discovered that Andrés had died. Andrés was Vivo’s very best friend.
Here's an article about How to Talk to Your Kids About Death/Grieving.
3. Conformity. Do you feel like other people are constantly telling you to act a certain way? What are some of your best qualities that you want to express to the world, no matter what other people think?
“My Own Drum”. Gabi sings about how she lives life her own way. While her mom and other people try to make her act like other kids, Gabi wants to be authentic and true to herself. She doesn’t want to change to be like everyone else.
After The Movie Discussion Guide
Follow this 5-10 minute discussion guide to drive an in-depth conversation.
1. As a baby, Vivo fell out of a truck while he was in a crate and he ended up in Havana, Cuba. Vivo was taken in by Andrés, who adopted him, loved him, and took care of him. How might Vivo's upbringing impacted him later in life? What questions do you have about adoption?
Check out this article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Vulnerable Children (Adoption/Foster Care).
2. Vivo loved music. He was “full of music and life”, and that’s how he received the name “Vivo”. What things in life do you love the most? What's something you'd like to be named after?
3. Andrés said that Marta was the love of his life, but he never told her how he felt. Marta then left to go to Miami to live out her musical dreams. He kept his feelings to himself so that she could follow her heart. Do you think Andrés made the right decision? Should he have openly expressed his feelings to her?
4. Vivo and Gabi were unlikely friends. They were very different, and yet they became friends and worked really well together. Do you have any friends that are totally different than you? Why is that such a great thing?
5. Becky, the leader of the Sand Dollars, was determined to follow the rules and to make others do the same. She had a lot of knowledge and knew the rules well, but she enforced them with harshness and anger. Because she was so mean, she lost influence in other’s lives. God loves us and informs us of the best way to live, but He does it with a kind and forgiving heart. How can you treat others similarly? When are you most harsh towards other people?
6. Vivo and Gabi worked to recreate the song. Vivo knew the melody and Gabi knew the song. Because of their teamwork, they were able to write down the song on a new sheet of paper. They showed great teamwork! What skills do you bring to a team? What skills do you need others to help you with?
Minute By Minute Guide
Use this break down of the entire movie in addition to the “After the Movie” discussion guide. Great for repeat viewings.
:02 “One of a Kind”. Vivo and how owner Andrés were alike in a lot of ways. They loved to play music and work together. Who are your closest friends in life? What makes your friendship so special?
:11 “Mambo Cabana”. Andrés wanted to take Vivo to the Mambo Cabana, but Vivo wanted to stay where they were. Have you ever had a disagreement with a friend about decision? How did you approach them with your thoughts?
:17 Vivo discovered that Andrés had died. Andrés was Vivo’s very best friend. How do you think Vivo is feeling in this moment? How should he express his feelings?
Here's an article about How to Talk to Your Kids About Death/Grieving.
:20 “One More Song”. During Andrés’s funeral, people remembered his legacy by listening to one more song. Vivo sang about how he really wanted to sing one more song with Andrés. Who is someone that you wished you were able to spend more time with? What types of things would you want to do with that person?
:26 Gabi’s mother tells her that she can’t keep pushing people away. She says that Gabi needs to connect with other kids and try to make friends so that she won’t be lonely. Why do you think Gabi pushes people away? How might she try to open up to others and connect with them?
:30 “My Own Drum”. Gabi sings about how she lives life her own way. While her mom and other people try to make her act like other kids, Gabi wants to be authentic and true to herself. She doesn’t want to change to be like everyone else. Do you feel like other people are constantly telling you to act a certain way? What are some of your best qualities that you want to express to the world, no matter what other people think?
:42 Vivo was upset with Gabi because she always acted on impulse. Vivo, on the other hand, preferred to be a diligent planner in order to prevent poor performance. Gabi was creative and optimistic, leading to a new solution. Which person do you relate to more: Vivo or Gabi? Do you like to make a detailed plan or do you prefer to improvise and come up with plans as you go?
:45 “Keep the Beat”. Vivo sings about what he can do when the plan breaks down. He wants to keep trying no matter what and maintain a positive attitude. Resilience is the ability to recover quickly from difficulties and challenges. What problems do you have in your life right now? How can you be resilient and keep moving forward, despite those problems?
1:00 Dancarino saved Vivo from being eaten from the snake. Vivo was in big trouble and there was nothing he could do to save himself. In a similar way, our sin separates us from God and there is nothing we can do to make it right. We can't do enough "good" things in order to make things right between us and God. But, God loves so much that He sent Jesus Christ to save us. Jesus was willing to take the punishment for our sins when He died on the cross - something He didn't deserve! Now, because of Jesus, we have been saved! Why do you think Jesus died on the cross for us? How can we express our thankfulness to Jesus?
1:04 “Tough Crowd”. Vivo sings about how to respond to people who aren’t so friendly. Do you have people in your life who aren't typically friendly? What's the best way to respond to their mean actions?
1:11 “Running Out of Time”. Vivo and Gabi were running out of time to get to Miami and achieve their goal to bring the song to Marta. What do you think Vivo and Gabi are feeling in this moment? How do you feel when you are stressed and running out of time to complete a task?
1:20 “Inside Your Heart”. Marta finally sings Andrés’s song. The song was about how, no matter where you go, love of other people always stays inside your heart. In a similar way, when we trust Jesus and follow Him, the Holy Spirit lives inside our hearts. Romans 8:9 says, "But you are not ruled by the power of sin. Instead, the Holy Spirit rules over you. This is true if the Spirit of God lives in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Christ." Did you realize the Spirit of God lives inside some people's hearts? What questions do you have about the Holy Spirit?