The LEGO Movie - 2014
Age-appropriateness: LEGO action
Overview: An ordinary LEGO construction worker, thought to be the prophesied as "special", is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the LEGO universe into eternal stasis. With many religious undertones, this film explores the battle between conformity and creativity. Are we supposed to build our lives based on societies’ instructions, or build our own world based on our unique identity?
Themes: LEGO bricks, conformity, uniqueness, friendship, positivity, identity, imagination, creativity, heaven, Jesus, prophecy, teamwork, sacrifice
The Quick 3
Ask these quick questions to hit the major themes of the film.
1. Uniqueness. Do you feel like you are special or do you feel like you’re ordinary?
Emmet didn't really feel special. Many of the LEGO characters were all the same. Psalm 139:13-14 says, "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it." Luke 12:7 says, "And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows." There is no one else on Earth just like you and God loves you exactly how you are.
2. Positivity. Do you know anyone like Emmet, who just seems to be happy all the time, no matter what?
Emmet was constantly positive and optimistic. He was always saying that "Everything is awesome". His positive attitude made him think highly of other people and gave him hope that things would always work out for the best.
3. Jesus. What similarities do you see between Jesus and Emmet?
The Prophecy called for a “special one”. Someone who would be chosen in advance to come and defeat evil once and for all. The entire Old Testament is God’s story about how the universe was created and prepared for the birth of Jesus. Like Emmet, Jesus wasn’t what he seemed at first. Many people didn’t think highly of Jesus. Luke 19:10 describes why Jesus came to Earth: "For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.”
After The Movie Discussion Guide
Follow this 5-10 minute discussion guide to drive an in-depth conversation.
1. The LEGO characters used their imagination and creativity to build many amazing things. Spend some time today using your imagination and building something amazing. Using your imagination is such a blast! Do you like playing with LEGO bricks? What’s your favorite thing to build?
Check out this article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Creativity/Inventions.
2. Emmet was constantly positive and optimistic. He was always saying that "Everything is awesome". His positive attitude made him think highly of other people and gave him hope that things would always work out for the best. Do you know anyone like Emmet, who just seems to be happy all the time, no matter what?
3. The Prophecy called for a “special one”. Someone who would be chosen in advance to come and defeat evil once and for all. The entire Old Testament is God’s story about how the universe was created and prepared for the birth of Jesus. Like Emmet, Jesus wasn’t what he seemed at first. Many people didn’t think highly of Jesus. Luke 19:10 describes why Jesus came to Earth: "For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.” What similarities do you see between Jesus and Emmet?
4. Wyldstyle was creative and wasn’t afraid to be unique. Emmet always wanted to be the person other people said he should be. Which one do you relate to more in your own life?
5. Emmet didn't really feel special. Many of the LEGO characters were all the same. Psalm 139:13-14 says, "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it." Luke 12:7 says, "And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows." There is no one else on Earth just like you and God loves you exactly how you are. Do you feel like you are special or do you feel like you’re ordinary?
6. Initially, Emmet strictly followed all of the instructions that President Business said he should do. The people around him were telling him to live a certain way, so he did it. He eventually realized that he lived an unfulfilling life and learned to be creative and build the life he wanted. Do you feel like people around you are telling you to live a certain way? In what way do you express creativity?
7. The LEGO characters had to build exactly as the instructions described. The Bible talks a lot about following God’s instructions. John 14:21 says, "Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them." Ezekiel 20:11 says, "There I gave them my decrees and regulations so they could find life by keeping them." God gives us rules to follow so that we might find our lives significant. God’s rules are always meant to give us the life we were meant to live. They aren't meant to keep us from having fun or suppressing our creativity. Do you think God’s instructions are meant to be strictly followed?
8. Emmett wanted to do great things. God’s definition of greatness is about who humbles themselves and lovingly serves others. Romans 12:2 says, "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." What does the Bible teach us about the difference between what our world says is great versus what God says is great?
Minute By Minute Guide
Use this break down of the entire movie in addition to the “After the Movie” discussion guide. Great for repeat viewings.
:01 Vitruvius describes a “prophecy”, which is a prediction, about the most important person of all time that is to come and defeat evil forever. There are many prophecies (over three hundred) in the Bible that were written about Jesus way before he was born – and they all came true! The ONLY way the Bible was able to predict so many things about Jesus is because it’s all true and Jesus is God. If you’d like to check out a few of these fulfilled prophecies, read Isaiah 7:14 (virgin birth), Micah 5:2 (born in Bethlehem), and Malachi 3:1 (coming to the temple). If Jesus fulfilled all of the prophecies about the coming Messiah, what does that tell you about Jesus?
:05 “Everything is Awesome”. Emmet and his LEGO friends think everything is awesome. They are incredibly optimistic and joyful. Optimism is having a positive attitude and seeing opportunities for good. Do you agree that everything is awesome? What’s the most awesome thing in your life? What are the things that you do not find awesome?
:09 Emmet touches the “piece of resistance”. The Prophecy said that the piece of resistance was going to be used by “the special” to stop the Kragle and save the realm. The Bible teaches about how the people of Israel would carry around a very special item called the “ark of the covenant”. They would keep it in a special tent and knew that it reminded them that God was always with them, even if they couldn’t see Him. To read more about the Ark of the Covenant, check out Exodus 25:10-22. Do you know that God is with you right now, even though you cannot see Him?
:12 Emmet hears how his friends really don’t think highly of him. They say he is “nothing”. How would this make Emmet feel? Do you ever feel like this when your friends talk about you?
:21 The Prophecy describes Lord Business as someone who wants to deceive people in order to end the world. We have an enemy with a similar goal, and his name is Satan. Satan tries to distract us and keep us from following God’s instructions. John 10:10 and 1 Peter 5:8 talk about how Satan is at work in the world and he wants to keep us from following Jesus. What makes it hard for you to follow God’s instructions in your life?
:26 Do you ever feel like you have a “good cop” and a “bad cop” inside your head, telling you what to do? Maybe there was a time when you knew what the right decision was, but you made the bad decision anyway? Paul, a dude who wrote a lot of the Bible, made similar decisions. He said in Romans 7:15: “I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.” Has this ever happened to you?
:30 Emmet describes a vision where he sees “the man upstairs”. “The man upstairs” is a general way that some people speak about God. God is the ruler and creator of all things, but he doesn’t look like other people look like. John 1:18 says that no one has ever seen God the Father, but there are many instances in the Bible of people coming close to seeing God. What do you picture, in your head, God to be like and look like?
:39 Cloud Cuckooland is a place where there is only good, all the time. Heaven is a similar place, but with a few differences. Heaven is perfect place because there is no sin and no pain. Princess Unikitty says that she pushes down the “not happy” ideas way down deep so you never have to deal with it. How do you deal with the “not happy” things that happen in your life? Do you deal with them or do you avoid those bad feelings?
Here's an article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Heaven.
Here's an article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Expressing Emotions.
:44 Emmet’s superhero friends all abandon him. They didn’t believe in Emmet as a leader, and they didn’t work together. As a result, bad cop’s army takes them out. Is there anything in your life you’re trying to accomplish alone, rather than working together with your friends? How can you ask for help?
:47 Vitruvius tells Emmet, “Don’t worry about what the others are doing. You must embrace what is special about you.” Do you ever compare yourself to other kids? How can you focus on what is special about you instead of focusing on other people?
:50 Bad Cop thinks he’s taken out the Special. The bad guys thought they did the same to Jesus on the day that he died on the cross. However, Bad Cop will soon realize that the Special isn’t dead, just like the bad guys who killed Jesus found out when he became alive again after 3 days! Read Luke 24 to learn more about the day Jesus came back alive. What is the significance of Jesus coming back alive, after He had died?
:54 Emmet says they’ll get a lot more done if they have a plan and work together as a team. Do you agree with him?
1:11 Ghost Vitruvius says, “the only thing anybody needs to be special is to believe they can be.” Do you believe you can be special? In what ways?
1:12 Emmet lovingly sacrifices himself so that the others can defeat Lord Business. Jesus did the same thing for us: He gave up his life on the cross so that we could all be saved from our sins. Because Jesus died for us, our sins are forgiven, and we get to be with God again! Eventually, we’ll live in heaven with Him forever!! Without Jesus’ sacrifice, we’d be lost and hopeless. It’s the best news ever!! If you were in the deepest trouble ever and you deserved it, how would you feel if someone, who was innocent, decided to take the punishment for you? And how would you feel if, instead of getting the punishment you deserved, you got the best prize ever – like unlimited candy forever and no tummy aches?!
1:26 Emmet’s secret weapon is his hand in friendship. He asks Lord Business to join Emmet and his inspired friends create new things and have fun together. When Jesus was on the cross, he prayed for the people hurting him. How can you show the same love towards people you think are enemies? Are there any bullies in your life that you can ask to have fun with you?