Eternals - 2021
Age-appropriateness: moderate sci-fi action, some language and violence
Overview: The saga of the Eternals, a race of immortal beings who lived on Earth and shaped its history and civilizations.
Themes: superheroes, teamwork, responsibility, immortality, love, sin, brokenness, death/grieving, family, identity, leadership, prayer, purpose, unity
The Quick 3
Ask these quick questions to hit the major themes of the film.
1. The fall/sin. Can you think of some examples of how sin destroys good things in this world? How could the power of the Holy Spirit help people to overcome the power of that sin?
Deviants destroyed everything and brought ruin to humans. The Eternals were sent to protect humans from the Deviants specifically. Humans were unable to protect themselves from the Deviants using their own strength. In the same way, sin destroys everything good in this world. We cannot fight sin in our own strength. We need the help of the Holy Spirit.
2. Identity. Have you ever felt like you didn't have an identity? What are the truest things about you?
Thena struggled to remember who she was. She became confused and forgot the truest things about herself.
Check out this article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Their Identity.
3. Purpose. What do you think is your true purpose in life? How might you live that purpose out?
The Eternals learn their true purpose. Before the next Emergence, they commit to saving Earth and stopping the Deviants from destroying all life, followed by the creation of another Celestial.
After The Movie Discussion Guide
Follow this 5-10 minute discussion guide to drive an in-depth conversation.
1. Check out this article on the Strengths and weaknesses of all of the heroes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
2. Which of the Eternals superpowers would you want the most? Why do you think that is the coolest superpower?
3. The Eternals were immortal, meaning they lived forever. In reality, only the One, True God is immortal. This means that He can never die. He will exist forever! 1 Timothy 1:17 says, "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." In what ways were the Eternals like God? How would it feel to be immortal?
4. Deviants destroyed everything and brought ruin to humans. The Eternals were sent to protect humans from the Deviants specifically. Humans were unable to protect themselves from the Deviants using their own strength. In the same way, sin destroys everything good in this world. We cannot fight sin in our own strength. We need the help of the Holy Spirit. Can you think of some examples of how sin destroys good things in this world? How could the power of the Holy Spirit help people to overcome the power of that sin?
5. Arishem was the creator of everything, and the transcendent leader and commander of the Eternals. The Eternals served and obeyed Arishem. Ikaris says that he “exists for Arishem”. The One, True God is the actual Creator of Heaven and Earth. All humans have been created to glorify God. How can you serve and obey God? If God Created you and gave you everything you have, what is a reasonable reaction of how you should treat God?
6. Ajak mentioned that the Eternals must come back together if they were to complete their mission. Phastos created the “uni-mind”, a capability only possible when the entire team of Eternals worked together to form something more powerful than any one individual. In the church, some awesome things are only possible when a bunch of like-minded people come together in unity. What are some things that can only happen when a team of people work together? What's the most unified group of people that you've ever known?
7. Sersi and Ikaris loved each other and got married. At some point, Ikaris left and Sersi began a relationship with Dane on Earth. God created marriage to be a reflection of the love Jesus has for the people that make up His church. What do you think is the purpose of marriage? In what ways does marriage represent the love between Jesus and His people?
8. The Eternals were instructed to not interfere with humans, particularly when humans were in conflict with one another. Druig really struggled with that because he knew he could help them. He wanted to take away all of their greed and anger. But even Druig points out that their flaws are what make them human. How often are you greedy and angry? Have you ever had someone intervene and try to help you?
9. Thena struggled to remember who she was. She became confused and forgot the truest things about herself. Have you ever felt like you didn't have an identity? What are the truest things about you?
Check out this article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Their Identity.
Minute By Minute Guide
Use this break down of the entire movie in addition to the “After the Movie” discussion guide. Great for repeat viewings.
:01 The beginning of the world is described, with Celestials living a good life. That is, until Deviants came along and plunged the world into chaos. In the beginning of our world, God created us to be in perfect harmony with Him. However, our decision to sin and rebel against God resulted in a broken world. Since sin entered the world, we've lived in chaos and the world isn't the way it is supposed to be. How have you seen sin plunge our world into darkness? What do you think God's initial plan for creation was supposed to look like?
:12 Sersi hasn’t yet told Dane the truth about who she is. She’s immortal, but he won’t love forever. Have you ever kept a secret from someone close to you? Why didn't you tell them the truth?
:21 In 575 B.C., the Eternals saved some humans in Babylon. It became an important and heavily populated city. In the Old Testament, Babylon was a real place. It was a prominent city and it was full of people. The book of Daniel describes some of the events that occurred in Babylon. Daniel made some difficult choices to remain faithful to God. They weren't always popular choices. Have you ever made a difficult decision because you were trying to be faithful to God? Why might it be difficult to follow God in a busy world (where not everyone else follows God)?
:32 Ajak, the Prime Eternal, was killed by a Deviant. Sprite expressed how much Ajak meant to her. Sersi cried as she mourned her friend’s death. How do you think Ajak's closest friends are feeling in this moment? What is a healthy way to grieve the loss of someone you love?
Here's an article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Death/Grieving.
:37 Ajak told Thena not to listen to the voice in her head. She felt broken and damaged. Ajak reminded Thena that she is safe and loved. Thena had Mahd Wy’ry, a condition in her mind in which her memories poisoned her mind. Every single person is broken in some way, because we live in an imperfect world. However, God loves you beyond measure and you are always precious in His sight. Do you ever feel broken and damaged? How do you think God sees you in these moments?
:46 Kingo is reminded of a famous line from his movie:“There is no greater duty than to protect one’s family”. Jesus said something similar in John 15:13 when He said, "There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." Why do you think Jesus said this? In what way did Jesus love and protect His family?
:55 Sersi was struggling to speak to her leader, Arishem. Gilgamesh told her, “Maybe you’re trying too hard. Sometimes, you just have to listen.” The same is true in our prayer life. Prayer is simply communicating with God. We can have a relationship with the God of the universe. And just like any relationship on Earth, we ought to communicate with our Heavenly Father. But at times, that includes allowing Him to speak to you. In what ways can you pray to God? How might you listen to Him?
1:04 The Eternals learn their true purpose. Before the next Emergence, they commit to saving Earth and stopping the Deviants from destroying all life, followed by the creation of another Celestial. What do you think is your true purpose in life? How might you live that purpose out?
Here's an article on How to Talk to Your Kids About Their Purpose/Calling.
1:06 Kingo reminds Druig that he “is not a god”. The is only One, True God. It's important to remember that we are not gods. Sometimes we act like we are, because we see ourselves as most important and we do whatever we want to do. Have you ever acted as if you were a god? What are some ways you might submit to the One, True God's authority?
1:21 Kro, a leader of the Deviants, promises to kill all of the Eternals. Kro says that the Eternals aren’t saviors, but they are murderers. 1 Timothy 1:15 explains how Jesus is the true Savior of the world: "This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: 'Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners'—and I am the worst of them all." What do you think it means to call Jesus a "Savior"? What did Jesus save the world from?
1:25 After the atomic bomb dropped in Hiroshima, Phastos says that humans “are not worth saving.” Phastos eventually changes his mind, coming to believe in the goodness of humanity. Jesus certainly thought humans were worth saving, because He gave up His very life for everyone. What motivated Jesus to give up His life to save humans? How are Jesus and Phastos different?
1:36 Ajak encourages Ikaris to tell Sersi the truth. Even though it’ll really hurt her to know that the Earth might be destroyed, Ajak said that honesty was important. Why do you think honesty is so important? What keeps people from being fully honest with others?
1:47 With loyalty to the Celestials, Ikaris asks the rhetorical question: “How many would be willing to die so that billions more could be born?” Romans 5:17 says, "For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ." Because Jesus was willing to die, billions of people have access to the Father and are seen as righteous. What an unbelievable sacrifice! What does this verse teach you about Adam? What does it teach you about Jesus?
2:03 Full of jealousy, Sprite hurts Sersi. Sprite says that she wished she knew what it was like to relate to humans, to grow up like them, and to have genuine relationships. Sersi had all of that, which made Sprite jealous. Jealousy is wanting to have something that someone else has. When have you been jealous recently? What did you do about it?
2:14 Makkari celebrates the fact that all of the Eternals “became one”. Philippians 2:2 describes this type of unity that is desired for all of God's people: "Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose." How can you live in unity with others who are different than you? What makes that difficult?
2:22 Arishem points out that the Eternals have chosen to sacrifice a Celestial for the lives of every person on Earth. He also promises to return for judgement. Jesus Christ will return one day, and there will be a time of judgement when God makes all things new. Why do you think God would have a final judgement of His people? What questions do you have about judgement and about our future in heaven?